Overview of Natural, Organic, & Performance Ingredients
- By far the most regulated. To be labeled “organic” by the USDA, it must be certified by an accredited agent to ensure it meets production, handling, and packaging standards.
- When you read the claim “contains organic ingredients,” that means “products must undergo a thorough review by an independent organic certification organization to verify that a manufacturer’s product formulation contains at least 70 percent organic content by weight,” according to NSF standards.
- All Magnolia League products are formulated with at least 70% organic ingredients.
- Any ingredient produced from the earth is considered “naturally derived.” Like plants, water, animals, or even coconut oil. Quality natural ingredients are typically left alone in their raw form.
- All Magnolia League products are formulated with at least 97% naturally derived raw ingredients.
- High-Performance Results—ingredients and products that actively promote change to yield desired skin results & improve a specific skin condition.
- High-Performance Efficiency—using fewer products, and ingredients, to get better results.
- Magnolia League formulates with high-performance ingredients to maximize efficacy with fewer products (and ingredients).
- An ingredient that is biologically active and is included to improve a specific skin condition (such as acne, uneven tone, dryness). Similar to “high-performance.”
- Magnolia League formulates with active ingredients to deliver high-performance solutions to specific skin challenges faced by sporting men.
Now that you understand the basics, keep reading to learn more about common ingredient terms & our ingredient standards...
What Does Organic & Natural Skincare Really Mean?
Organic Certification: Highly Regulated
Why don't most brands share how many organic ingredients they use? Because they can't legally. Any product sold as 'organic' must comply with strict regulations set at US & int'l levels.
Brands stay quiet because they either haven't gone through an auditing process or don't want to disclose how little organic ingredients they use despite claims.
Chemist, and founder of Freelance Formulations, Vanessa Thomas offers a simple definition. "Organic strictly refers to ingredients grown without the involvement of pesticides, artificial fertilizers, and any other synthetic ingredient," says Vanessa.
Of all terms, organic is by far the most regulated (by the FDA and Fair Packaging and Labeling Act). To be labeled “organic” by the USDA, it must be certified by an accredited agent to ensure it meets production, handling, and packaging standards. While other standards exist, NSF provides the gold standard for making organic claims.
When you read the claim “contains organic ingredients,” that means “products must undergo a thorough review by an independent organic certification organization to verify that a manufacturer’s product formulation contains at least 70 percent organic content by weight,” according to NSF Standards.
Magnolia League: Made With at Least 70% Certified Organic Ingredients
Magnolia League men’s essentials contain at least 70% organic ingredients. We’re able to make this hard organic claim as our ingredients are audited by major certifiers such as: Oregon Tilth, Quality Assurance International, & Organic Alliance Inc.
So, when we make this claim, you can feel good knowing we went through the rigorous certification process to source the highest quality ingredients.
What Are "Natural" Ingredients?
Any ingredient produced from the earth is considered “naturally derived.” For example: ingredients from plants, water, animals, or coconut oil. Quality natural ingredients are typically left alone in their raw form.
There are no certifications or regulations governing natural claims. For example, a product that contains water can claim “natural ingredients.”
Though most brands can claim “natural” and be technically correct, be aware of what that claim means. Few brands expand further; leaving out specific percentages of natural content and quality details.
Transparent brands quantify the percentage of naturally derived content in their formulations and expand on the source, quality, & function of those ingredients.
Magnolia League: Made With at Least 97% Natural Ingredients
Magnolia League men’s essentials are formulated with at least 97% naturally derived raw ingredients.
Our products are inspired by our love for the South’s natural beauty—and our labels are largely compiled of raw, natural ingredients from the elements—for example:
- Essential minerals and sea algae from the ocean.
- Antioxidant and nutrient-rich plants grown from the earth.
- Pure anti-inflammatory botanicals wild harvested from forests & mountains.
What Is High-Performance Skincare?
High-Performance is a term that gets thrown around a lot in personal care. Though there’s no official definition or certification, “high-performance” broadly means two things in skincare:
- Results: ingredients and products that actively promote change to yield desired skin results.
- Efficiency: using fewer products, and ingredients, to get better results.
Magnolia League: High-Performance Ingredients That Get Results
Organic and natural doesn’t mean less effective. Every powerhouse ingredient is purposefully selected; working together to produce maximum results for the skin needs of sporting men.
Here are seven examples of high-performance ingredient groups we use, examples of hero ingredients, and how they deliver results for you:
- Hydrate—Moisturizing Agents: prevent dryness and breakouts with these rapidly hydrating ingredients.
- Jojoba Oil
- Aloe Vera
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Replenish—Barrier Repair Agents: essential fatty acids (found in ingredients below) enhance barrier repair, improve cell immunity and moisture, & reduce inflammation.
- Borage Oil
- Rosehip Oil
- Protect—Antioxidants: defenders against oxidative stress damage, caused by free radicals and UV rays, to prevent early aging signs and breakouts.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Green Tea
- Restore—Anti-Aging Agents: function varies; including deep moisture, collagen stimulation, cell regulation boost, prevention of water loss, & more to fight early aging signs.
- Vitamin A
- Gotu Kola
- Reishi Mushroom
- Tone—Hydroxy Acids: organic acids (AHAs, BHAs) that promote exfoliation, unblock pores, & turn over skin cells—to clear your skin and improve its tone.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Sugar Cane
- Orange Peel Extract
- Radiance—Collagen Accelerators: stimulating collagen is key to giving your skin a youthful glow and can be boosted by these ingredients.
- Vitamin C
- Reduce Inflammation—Potent Anti-Inflammatory Plants: reducing inflammation calms and balances your skin to avoid dryness, breakouts, and irritation for clear, healthy skin.
Magnolia League: High-Performance Efficiency for Ace Results with Fewer Products & Ingredients
We know the importance of a simple routine that’s easy to adopt and maintain. So we focused on high-performance efficiency—minimizing the amount of products and ingredients to deliver maximum results.
Here’s how all Magnolia League products perform multiple jobs to maximize results with an easy, minimal product routine:
1. Peachtree Face Cleanser
- Gently Cleanse & Exfoliate: Deep cleans with powerful yet gentle coconut-based foundation, while gently exfoliating with AHAs from citrus fruit.
- Anti-Aging: Accelerates collagen production and helps prevent aging signs with potent anti-aging elixir of MSM, Gotu Kola, & Vitamin C.
- Protect & Reduce Inflammation: Loaded with protective antioxidants, including 15% Vitamin C, and plants with remarkable anti-inflammatory benefits like Centella (Gotu Kola).
- Hydrate: Superior hydration function from Organic Aloe.
- Barrier Repair: Replenishing fatty acids like Boarge and Rosehip oil.
2. Golden Isles Hydrating Marine Complex
- Hydrate: High-performance moisturizers Organic Aloe & Organic Jojoba.
- Nourish & Glow: Rejuvenate your tired skin with essential skin electrolytes and super nutrients found in Ocean Minerals & Irish Sea Moss.
- Reduce Inflammation: High-performance, multi-purpose, ingredients—Spirulina, Centella, Yarrow—fight inflammation and help repair signs of aging.
- Energizing Antioxidants: Green Tea is a true antioxidant powerhouse to protect against signs of aging and free radical damage—with caffeine for energizing dull skin.
- Anti-Aging: Stimulate collagen glow while reducing appearance of wrinkles & fighting inflammation with high-performance Gotu Kola (Centella) and Wild Geranium.
3. Augusta & Thomasville All-in-One Wash
- Gently Cleanse & Restore: Sugar-based foundation deep cleans while gently exfoliating for powerful skin rejuvenation.
- Invigorate: With anti-aging powerhouse Reishi, the “mushroom of immortality.” Plus pure, potent, remarkably refreshing botanical oils Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, & Mint.
- Reduce Inflammation: Packed with high-performance inflammation fighters Calendula, Chamomile, & Yarrow to soothe your skin, body, and hair.
- Anti-Aging: Accelerate circulation, glow, & collagen with Astralugas & MSM while protecting with high-performance antioxidants like Vitamin E.
- Scalp Health & Hair Growth: High-performance botanical Organic Rosemary can promote hair growth while improving scalp health and reducing dandruff.
What is an “Active” Ingredient?
In short, an ingredient that is biologically active and is included to improve a specific skin condition (such as acne, uneven tone, dryness, etc.).
By comparison, inactive ingredients (also called excipients in the pharmaceutical industry) serve as a means of delivering the active ingredient to the body.
Common active ingredients have a lot of cross-over with high-performance ingredients. In some cases, the terms are used interchangeably. Examples of common active ingredients: Vitamin C, AHAs & BHAs, Fatty Acids/Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid, and Vitamin E.
Magnolia League uses active ingredients to achieve high-performance results & efficiency in our products. Giving you optimal skin benefits with minimum products and ingredients.
- Byrdie: “Reishi Mushrooms Are an Underrated Skincare Powerhouse.” Rostamian, M. (2023). Link
- Mount Sinai: “Health Library: Astragalus.” Link
- Mane Addicts: “How Does Rosemary Water Benefit Hair?” (2023). Link
- USDA: “National Organic Program: Cosmetics, Body Care Products, and Personal Care Products.” (2008). Link
- Woman With a Mind: “What is Cosmeceutical?” Link.
- Lifestyle Asia: “What are active ingredients in skincare and how do they work?” (2018). Link.
- The Good Skin Blog: “What does organic, natural, and clean skincare mean?” Link.
- NSF: “Personal Care Products Containing Organic Ingredients.” Link.
- Byrdie: “Omega Fatty Acids in Skincare: The Complete Guide.” Link.